1) About the Information We Collect
Our Online Services collect information that identifies you, as well as online data about you.
Our Online Services collect Personal Information. Personal Information is any information that can be used to identify, locate or contact you. It may also include other information that can be associated with an identifiable individual. We may collect the following Personal Information:
2) How We Collect Your Information
Our Online Services collect online data. We may collect information about the browser, IP address, device (including device ID), and operating system you're using. We might look at what site you came from, what you view within our Online Services, and/or what site you visit when you leave us. We may collect your location using GPS, a cellular network location, Wi-Fi networks, browser services, or other information obtained from your device or provided by you.
Our Online Services collect information in different ways.
Information is collected directly from you. We may collect your name, payment card or account number, User ID, email address, billing and shipping address, telephone number or other Personal Information you submit to us when you use our Online Services. We also collect other information you submit through our Online Services, such as requests to enroll in offers and alerts. We will collect information when you click a link.
Information is collected passively. Our Online Services and some emails may use tracking tools like cookies and pixel tags or beacons. Our Online Services gather online data about you and your device(s) over time across multiple websites, other platforms, or other mobile apps. The information collected by our Online Services may be combined with other data that we obtain about you, including data from third parties and offline sources.
We collect information about you from third parties, including social media sites.
3) How We Use Information We Collect
- Fulfill your requests or questions. For example, we might use your information to create and maintain your Discover® Click to Pay profile or complete a transaction that you requested. We may also use your information to respond to your requests or questions or send you notifications;
- Enable you to check out using Discover® Click to Pay or enhance your Discover® Click to Pay checkout experience, including for related purposes, such as authentication, fraud prevention, and dispute resolution. For example, we may use information, including your location information and IP address, to protect our company, our customers, and our Online Services from fraud, and unauthorized transactions and to manage risk and if you have location services turned on while you are using a mobile device we might use your mobile location information to help identify potential fraudulent transactions;
- To improve our products and services. We may combine information we get from you with information about you we get from third parties and other offline sources. We may use technology that allows us to recreate a customer's browser session to resolve customer concerns or improve our Online Services;
- Generate anonymized and aggregated datasets that can be used for modeling, reporting, and analytics, such as to analyze payment, transaction or similar trends;
- Contact you about Discover promotions or services, including Discover® Click to Pay, if you have given your consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law;
- Accomplish our business purposes, including to understand how you use our products, content and services; for analytics and product development purposes; to develop new products and services; (where appropriate) to personalize the offers that we make you and the Discover® Click to Pay checkout experience; to personalize, enhance, improve, or modify our current products and services, including Discover® Click to Pay; for fraud, risk management, and security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft; to identify usage trends, for example, understanding which parts of Discover® Click to Pay are of most interest to users; and to determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users;
- Administer any promotions, sweepstakes or contests in which you choose to participate;
- Comply with legal, regulatory, industry self-regulatory, insurance, audit and security requirements including checking your identity against money laundering, terrorist financing or similar watch lists established or enforced by U.S. or other government regulators; and
We use information for marketing purposes. We may use information we know about you from our Online Services, including your location information, to send you information about new products and special offers. These may come from us, our Business Partners, or our Service Providers. We might tell you about new features or updates we think you will like. We may also use push notifications on our Mobile App.
4) What and With Whom We May Disclose Information
- To merchants and other third parties that help facilitate the Discover® Click to Pay checkout experience or otherwise support your use of Discover® Click to Pay to complete the actions you initiate using Discover® Click to Pay, which may include, for example, completing a transaction, facilitate shipping, resolving a dispute, signing up for a promotion, helping prevent fraud, providing customer service, and card-on-file storage;
- To your Card issuer to authenticate and process your transactions, to operate any issuer services accessible through Discover® Click to Pay, to report how you use your payment card in Discover® Click to Pay (including whether it is selected as your preferred card), and to enable your Card issuer to provide customer service, usage analysis, fraud prevention, and Discover or issuer-related promotions (based on your preferences with your issuer);
- To our Service Providers, including third-party vendors, to facilitate the services they provide us, who are required to only use your Personal Information in accordance with our instructions (For example, we share information such as your telephone number or email address with Service Providers who send texts or emails on our behalf. We may also share information with companies that operate or analyze our Online Services. We may share information with companies who perform advertising services on our behalf); and
- To our Business Partners to fulfill offers you request.
5) Other Information Uses and Disclosures
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations, including laws outside your country of residence;
- To cooperate with public and government authorities, including authorities outside your country of residence;
- To cooperate with law enforcement requests (For example, we may share information to respond to a court order or subpoena, or we may share it if a government agency or investigatory body requests. We may share information when we are investigating potential fraud);
- With third parties at your request or with your authorization; and
6) Rights for Consumers in Specific Jurisdictions
7) Other Important Privacy Information
These Online Services are not intended for children. Our Online Services are meant for adults and are not directed to children. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 16 without permission from a parent or guardian. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child under 16 has given us data, you can email us at Privacy@discover.com.
We may conduct Interest-based Advertising. We may use interest-based advertising to target our advertising more effectively. Visit the Discover Global Network Privacy Statement to learn more.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions. For more information, if you have questions about your Personal Information or if you have a privacy concern, you may email our Data Protection Officer and/or Representative at: Privacy@discover.com or write to us at:
Attn: ECP Privacy Operations
P.O. BOX 795
Deerfield, IL 60015